Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What a week... Baby, Ironman and lessons learned.

Last week was a week that will never be forgotten, nor is it one that we would want to forget!

In order of importance and coincidentally chronologically as well, here is how our past week played out.


Wednesday around 9:30 a.m. we got the call from labor and delivery that we needed to be at the hospital around 10:00 a.m. so we called my M-I-L gave the girls a kiss, took some final photos and made our way to AF Hospital.















There are several details that I am going to leave out since I am a guy. After getting all situated at the hospital Cort got her water broke (kind of), petocine, epidural and water broke again (in that order). Around 3:45 p.m. the nurse came in to check Corts' progress (once of many checks throughout the day) and Cort told the nurse that she felt like she was prairie dogging (she did use those words) due to a large amount of pressure down below, the nurse assured her that it was completely normal and that the pressure is a sign the baby is getting closer. As the nurse started flinging carts and medical supplies around she told Cort to relax as much as possible. Cort and I interpreted that to mean that we still had a little while. The nurse then said after rearranging the room that she would be back with the doc. Cort and I looked at each other and then clarified with nurse "does that mean I am ready?" Cort asked in confusion. The nurse responded yeah, that why I told you to relax as much as possible, you are ready to start pushing. The Doc came in asked for a practice push to gage how things were going to go and where the baby was situated. No one in the room anticipated it to be the only push. Just like that our stud muffin baby was born! 6 lbs 13 oz, 20 inches long and a lot of hair; he is already sporting the fohawk.

So, I introduce you to Drake Brent Smith






















Thursday night I left for St George so I could make final packet pickup by 8 a.m. Yes, I left my day old baby and healing wife in the hospital (something I am not overly proud of, but it was in the plan). All day Friday I prepared for the race, picked up race packet, got body marked, dropped of bike to Sand Hollow, packed my special needs bags, transition bags and dropped them off at the appropriate areas. Went back and rested up and continued the carbo loading process. Cort on the other hand, checked out of the hospital around noon and went home to do some last minute packing (I had already taken all the bags with me the night before). On their way down to St George they called the pediatrician, Elle had been fighting a fever for a few days and was not eating very good. The Pediatrician instructed them to find the nearest instacare and get her in at once. It so happens that the closet instacare was in Provo so with a care full of kids Cort and her parents stopped at the instacare to get Elle checked. She was diagnosed with a viral infection and the doc sent them on their way, they finally arrived in St George around 10:30 Friday night. (I have an amazing wife)



Saturday morning...Ironman Baby

















It was an amazing day. I quickly learned that Ironman branded triathlons are more than just a triathlon it is a production and it is just like what you see on tv. It's the real deal. There are obviously 3 parts to a triathlon: swim, bike and run (in that order) here is how my day went.


Swim 2.4 miles: Water temp was 58 degrees; about an hour into the swim both legs crapped, I thought I was done. I could not move, after about 10-15 mins of holding onto a kayak (which is legal as long as there is no forward motion) and massaging and stretching my legs the best I could I was able to continue and finish the swim. Coming out of the water I knew that I was at the back of the pack, I just did not realize how far back I was. Later I would find out that I was in 1780th place. Yes, you read that right, I was SLOW. After about 13 minutes in the changing tent trying to get my core temperature up I finally made my way to my bike, it was not hard to find since 80% of the participants were already on the bike course.


Bike 112 miles: The bike went well, not much to report on that.
















Run 26.2 miles: Ouch! About half way through the run my legs were so tight that it felt like I have knives in both of my quads, it hurt. The course had a lot of hills and was an out and back run that was repeated twice.


















The Finish: As I mentioned in the previous post, I knew after being out all day that my emotions would flow as I neared the finish line. The race had much more behind it than the 13 hours of racing. It has required a ton of time and sacrifice from those I love the most...my family the best support crew a person could ask for. For the past several months I have put in hundreds of hours of training, but Cort has been pulling the load as well, she has been amazing and if it weren't for her support I would have never been able to accomplish this life time goal.
































I ended up placing 640th out of 2200 people which means from the time I stubbled out of the water to the time I crossed the finish line I passed over 1100 people and that felt good. Not to shabby for my 1st Ironman.

What a ride!

Thanks to all those who helped us out last week and cheered us on. We could not have done it with out family, friends and great neighbors.








10 comments:

Dave and Sherri said...

Holy cow! You guys are beyond amazing! Congratulations on the new baby (Cort, you can't look that good after having a baby! You look AMAZING!!!) He is a DOLL!!! Congratz on the ironman too! You are so great Jeremy! That's quite an accomplishment!

ChicChat said...

What a story! I am so proud of you, Jer! As I was reading that I was remembering this young boy that wasn't always sure of himself...(I mean that is the nicest way.) I look at how far you've come and you are such an example to so many people! You never let people tell you that you couldn't do something and you proved it!
Congrates to you and Cortney on your beautiful boy! I love the middle name too! :)

Garrett-Ashley & our Peanuts said...

Congrats to you the amazing Smith family. Drake is GORGEOUS!!!! truly a pretty baby. Cort you are wonderwomen and such an incredible mother. Jeremy we are so proud of you and this incredible life long acheivement!!!! We loved cheering you along and felt the adrenaline in the air. On arriving home a few of the men have the bug to possibly attempt what you just finished. I want to hear details next time we see you guys.

Momma Fish said...

I don't know who I am more impressed with. Jeremy for completing an Ironman, or Cortney for being so supportive. Sorry, Jer, Cort wins. Drake is darling!!

DeAnna said...

All I have to say is that you both are truly amazing. You know that I love you guys tons and was so happy that we were there to witness the race & see our new little nephew. Love you guys!!

Jason, Elisa, Connor and Megan said...

What a great week! I am so glad that it all went as planned. That is truly amazing that you did ironman, and it is awesome you passed so many people - you did GREAT! I love that picture of you and Cortney when you finished! It says so much! Congrats on Drake, he is so cute! He is lucky to be in such a great family!

Jill and Paul said...

Congratulations on EVERYTHING!! what a wonderful week! and yes, cort is amazing! what an accomplishment the ironman is! good for you! drake is so handsome! im sure the girls are loving on him all the time!

Tricia said...

Congrats on that darling little baby! So exciting to have him here. Jer- seriously great job on the Ironman. We knew you'd finish strong !

Katelyn & Wade said...

Oh gosh, you just made me cry all over again! It's such an empowering day. I'm proud of you for gutting out that swim!! And I'm beyond words proud of Cortney. She defines supportive. And let us not forget Drake, so cute, congratulations!

Well done Jeremy.

Danielle said...

You guys are freaking insane! Cort you look way to good to have just given birth. I am glad that all is well and you are all home now resting. I need to come see the little man and bring you your little gift. Take care.